Blackmagic have simply introduced Camera Setup 6.1 that’s claimed to enhance the battery and auto focus efficiency of the BMPCC 4K.
Whereas the BMPCC 4K produces good imagery it has been tormented by battery issues which many house owners have been complaining about. You may learn all about these issues in our overview.
It shuts off with out warning (from our overview)
A significant flaw with the Pocket 4K is it is going to shut off whereas recording even when the battery indicator is displaying 30% or 40%. The digicam isn’t appropriately estimating the precise quantity of energy left. After I put a full battery within the indicator will rapidly present the battery depleting even earlier than I begin recording. This must be addressed in a firmware replace stat! It may not be a digicam software program challenge however extra of a digicam energy consumption challenge.
Whereas I’ve had the digicam shut down whereas recording a number of occasions the clips didn’t change into corrupt or was deleted. That is some excellent news however like I mentioned. It’s scary and I can’t think about that clips finally wouldn’t get corrupted with such abrupt shutdowns. Blackmagic Design mentioned they may look into this challenge additional however said the clips shut each 10 frames, subsequently, you can lose roughly 10 frames off the top of a clip.
I examined a number of batteries and I’m discovering a giant discrepancy with them and when the digicam will shut down. With Canon OEM LP-E6N I used to be getting a lot better efficiency. The digicam would drop to round 9% after which shut off. For now, I extremely advocate the Canon OEM batteries and alter them round 15% warning. I nonetheless obtained round 40-45 minutes with Canon OEM.
Lastly a repair
It has taken Blackmagic a very long time to handle and tackle the battery flaw with the BMPCC 4K. In response to Blackmagic, Digital camera Setup 6.1 has Improved energy effectivity for improved battery life, fastened a problem the place some batteries may shut off earlier than anticipated, and glued a problem the place low battery indicators will not be displayed appropriately.
We don’t have a BMPCC4K so there isn’t a method for us to independently check whether or not or not any of those issues have truly been fastened. Should you personal a BMPCC 4K tell us if Digital camera Setup 6.1 has solved these points.
Higher Auto Focus
Blackmagic additionally claims that the auto focus efficiency has been improved on the BMPCC 4K. There aren’t any extra particulars as to what has truly been improved. They do say that they fastened a problem the place there have been auto focusing points when utilizing the Lumix 20mm f1.7 lens.
New for BMPCC 4K
- Added assist for pixel remapping in digicam
- Added 2:1 monitoring body information
- Improved media formatting consumer interface
- Improved audio monitoring latency efficiency
- Improved auto focus efficiency
- Improved sign to noise ratio efficiency of digicam inside microphone
- Improved energy effectivity for improved battery life
- Improved 3.5mm audio enter choice interface
- Improved AV sync efficiency
- Mounted a problem the place time and date will not be up to date on digicam when linked to the Blackmagic Digital camera Setup utility
- Mounted a problem the place the three.5mm audio enter degree is 6dB decrease than anticipated
- Mounted an auto focusing challenge with Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens
- Mounted a problem the place some USB-C exterior SSDs weren’t detected when linked earlier than digicam is powered up
- Mounted a problem the place some batteries may shut off sooner than anticipated
- Mounted a problem the place low battery indicator will not be displayed appropriately
- Mounted a problem with digicam not being detected by host pc when linked to sure USB ports
- Up to date dynamic vary and ISO chart in consumer guide
No new options in 6.1 for different digicam fashions.
Minimal system necessities for updating utilizing macOS
macOS Mojave 10.14 or higher
macOS Excessive Sierra 10.13 or higher
An appropriate USB 2.zero port
Thunderbolt port for UltraScope and Media Categorical when utilizing Blackmagic Cinema Digital camera or Blackmagic Manufacturing Digital camera 4K
Minimal system necessities for updating utilizing Home windows
Microsoft Home windows 10 64-bit
Microsoft Home windows 8.1 64-bit
An appropriate USB 2.zero port
An appropriate Thunderbolt port when utilizing Blackmagic Cinema Digital camera or Blackmagic Manufacturing Digital camera 4K
Issues to pay attention to
Whereas putting in Digital camera Replace on URSA Mini and URSA Mini Professional it’s possible you’ll discover a pause across the 10% mark within the set up course of, that is regular and can proceed putting in after round 20 seconds.
After loading the software program on the Blackmagic Cinema Digital camera PL, EF or MFT, it’s possible you’ll discover a slight flickering on the built-in LCD display screen. That is regular and anticipated habits. The flickering will go away after a couple of minutes of operation.
New Guide accessible to obtain
Blackmagic have additionally made an up to date instruction guide for the BMPCC 4K available to download.